Blackey Death Proof, Lead vocalist for Midnight Mob
2) How did you come up with your stage name?
When I was 14, my best friend and partner in crime shared a similar taste in style, music, people, movies, friends, etc. We also shared the same first name. This became irritating to us and our
friends. We tried other nicknames to help distinguish ourselves from each other, but they failed. Finely, our good friend Steve Mahgan brought up the one obvious difference between us she was
a blonde and I was a brunette. At first they were going to go with Blondie and Brownie, but I refused to be called that so they went with the alternative, “Blackey” and “Whitey”.
3) What sets you apart from other aspiring artists?
I draw from many influences that’s others my age seldom would such as 70’s punk, 80’s thrash metal, with a dash of 50’s rock n roll.
4) What single or project are you currently pushing?
We just completed our video for our new song “All For Nothing,” directed by Jared Belucci, and we are having our release party this Friday. We are all pretty stoked!
5) What is the philosophy by which you live by?
“I’m not bad, I’m just drawn that way”- Jessica Rabbit
6) Which artists have inspired you to pursue music?
There are so many, but I would have to say Iggy Pop, Elvis, Freddie Mercury, Etta James, and Bruce Dickinson.
7) Who does most of the songwriting?
As a band, we are all fortunate to contribute in one way of another. We all come from different musical influences and as a result created our unique sound and diverse appeal.
(8) What is your opinion of the current state of the music industry?
The internet creates a tremendous amount of competition, making it difficult to appeal to labels.
In order to push your band a tremendous amount of money is needed as well as contacts you make along the way. In the end we have to find a way to do absolutely everything ourselves,
which is a daunting task.
9) If you could change one thing about the music industry what would it be and why?
In New York and Long Island there is no rock radio for upcoming rock artists. The radio is a
huge appeal to the masses and there is no platform in our hometown to take advantage of.
10) Are there any singers/ bands that you would like to collaborate with in the future?
Iron Maiden, Goldfrapp, Primal Scream, Danzig
11) What producer would you like to collaborate with in the future?
12) What is your favorite movie and favorite book?
I am movie freak, so it is really hard to pick just one. Right now my favorite movie would have
to be Vertigo. I’ve been on an Alfred Hitchcock binge. My favorite book would probably be any
kind of food menu.
13) What is your favorite part of your live show? How has it evolved?
I roll around on the floor. I now roll further!!!
14) What is your Lp going to be like?
Currently we are producing E.P.’s to get music out faster to open our time up for more writing,
touring, and face time with our fans.
15) Any final words for the people.
“Run to the hills. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!”