[Interview]; @StereoCrowd Talks about their best song, their greatest motivation & more!
1. What is your name, how did you come up with it, and what does it mean if anything? Well the band was given birth to on the rooftops of South Harlem. It started as just a lot of musicians getting together and jammin’ out on P-A roof on 111th street. We invited anyone and anyone who wanted to play or hang and listen. Before we knew it, we were getting over 100 ppl on the roof listening, and another 30 musicians or so jamming. It was wild! P-A looked around and said to VFerg, “yo… we should start a band,” so they had another party; this time a covert band naming operation was at play. Throughout the night, people put over 150 names in a jar. The next day, P-A picked out two: “Uptown” and “Stereo Crowd.” When he called VFerg about it, VFerg lost his sh*t, because of all the names in the jar, P-A picked out the one that VFerg put in… “Stereo Crowd.”
The name represents what we saw those first few nights and what we still see today – a very diverse crowd that blends together like the left and right channels do in audio, to create stereo. In this case, that stereo signal of left and right that have come together as one, is a crowd.
2. Who are your four greatest musical influences? Lupe Fiasco, Dee-1, Janelle Monae and The Black Keys.
3. What is your greatest motivation? To see that “stereo crowd” reach 50,000 people.
4. How would you describe your sound to a stranger? It’s a mix of things they might like. The genre is Urban Alternative, so it has the physical feeling of Hip-Hop, the emotion of Rock and the smooth sound of Soul.
6. What is your best road story? Well meeting MC Hammer recently was pretty cool. For VFerg, Hammer is the first artist he can remember as a kid and the first artist he went to see in his life, when he lived in Germany as a kid.
7. If there is one person you would love to meet who would it be? Hmm… The head of a major indie who would want to release our album next year.
8. What do you feel is your best song? Well, they all have to stand the test… “I Got It” and “Who Do You Love” will be the first videos. “I Got it” is already done and “Who Do You Love” is in the works. “I Got it” represents who we are and how we think. We’re doing this. We’re building team. We’re working ourselves from good to great, and we’re going to keep at it. Connecting and engaging with fans and focusing on delivering world class live performances… this is what we’re up to – we got it.
Then there is “Wish I Had A Girl”, which features Kalae All Day. That’s just the bomb show-off songs, as she’s gonna’ grab a hold of your mind in an unexpected way. And after that… well, there’s much more to come!
Source: The Independent Music Scene